What does 2019 hold for the future of natural foods and supplements? Here is some food for thought about making choices in the aisles and supporting producers who hold the same values that are important to you.
- Regenerative Agriculture: Regenerative Agriculture is agriculture that IMPROVES the land; rather than is “less bad”. Manufacturers, producers, suppliers, and investors work together to bring products to market that rebuild the soil and biodiversity to protect the future of our food.
White Leaf Provisions Biodynamic Apple Sauce + Cinnamon
Patagonia Provisions Mussels
Dr. Bronner’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Plant Based Diets Go Mainstream: Sales of plant-based foods like meat, eggs, and dairy substitution have grown year over year. Watch for more products in conventional grocery stores. Also, you’ll see more celebrity athlete endorsements dispelling the fallacy that plant-based eating hinders athletic performance.
Milkadamia Unsweetened Vanilla Macadamia Milk
Sweet Earth Natural Foods Veggie Lovers Pizza
Savory Wild Portabella Jerky Roasted Garlic & Black Pepper
- Glyphosate (RoundUp) Awareness: The Environmental Working Group (EWG) conducted studies funding potentially higher-than-safe levels of the chemical in oat-based products – Hello Cheerios! Monsanto was involved in a high-visibility lawsuit bringing much more awareness to the Glyphosate issue and contamination.
Foodstirs Modern Baking Organic Chewy Granola Oat Bar Baking Mix
MegaFood One Daily
Earnest Eats Superfood Oatmeal Blueberry + Chia + Cinnamon
- Time-Honored Ingredients: Ancient wisdom comes back by ancient grains, fermentation, Ayurveda, and herbal remedies. Ingredients like turmeric, ginger, mushrooms, apple cider vinegar, and heirloom grains like amaranth, frekeh, farro, einkorn, emmer, and a host of others trace their roots to other cultures and our grandmothers to cure ailments. These heritage ingredients live on because they work.
HANAH One Botanical Supplement
Dram Apothecary Ginger Switchel Drinking Vinegar Concentrate
Ka-Pop! Olive Oil and Sea Salt Ancient Grain Popped Chips
- Freezer Foods Are Cool: Forget about Swanson’s TV dinners of the past. Over the past five years, high-quality, crave-worthy forzen items have hit the shelves. As we now “cope with chaos” in our daily lives, these freezer meals offer relief when cooking a delicious and healthy meal just isn’t in the cards.
Wildscape Gochujang Cauliflower with Brussels Sprouts, Chickpeas & Quinoa, Riced Cauliflower, Cashews, and Pickled Onions
Luvo Kale Ricotta Ravioli
Beetnik Organic Lemongrass Chicken
- Keto, Keto, Everywhere: Keto-friendly options abound across food, beverage, and supplements. Keto products prioritize healthy fats and vilify sugar for improved health. Like other low carb diets, keto owes a lot of its success to celebrities and influencers who have used the program to lose weight.
Dang Bar Lemon Matcha
Koia Keto Chocolate Brownie
Nui Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Radical Changemakers: Transparency, sustainability, and mission-based companies have been important trends in the natural foods industry. They consider the impact on plants, animals, and humans all along the supply chain from farmer to consumer to waste. This year natural businesses will focus on conscious practices, not just by sustainability efforts but by changing their business models to a more specific mission-based focus. How will they do that? By finding ingredient suppliers who care about regenerative agriculture and fair wages for their people, by getting involved in policy making, and brave social and environmental commitments.
Kuli Kuli Moringa Energy Bar Black Cherry
Clif Bar & Company Fruit Smoothie Filled Strawberry Banana
Numi Golden Chai
- Tapping Into the Endocannabinoid System: CBD is barrelling into 2019 appearing in products from supplements to snacks, beverages, and body care. These products are touted as being a way to help with pain, anxiety, inflammation, and healthy sleep. The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the Controlled Substance Act. (CBD is derived from hemp and does not contain THC and doesn’t make you high.)
Charlotte’s Web Original Formula Hemp Extract Oil Mint Chocolate
Botanical Rush Midnight Beauty Night Cream
Weller Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites with Hemp Extract
- Energy Evolution: We have trouble falling asleep at night, and then we have trouble staying awake during the day. As a result, we turn to energy drinks to keep us awake and productive. Reformulated energy drinks are emerging offering lower doses, “micro-dosing,” of caffeine (35 – 45mg instead of 150mg). Micro-dosing suggests that smaller amounts of caffeine support productivity and minimize jitters.
Rasa Koffee Adaptogenic Herbal Koffee
Tempo Sparkling Matcha Raspberry + Lime
MATI Citrus Energy Drink
Disclosure: some of the above links are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and purchase a product.
Source: New Hope Network, Natural News Today 1/3/19